What’s that we hear you cry, you have no idea why there’s football on the TV so much at the moment?
It would be hard for even the most reclusive football-phobe to miss the onslaught of sport on our TVs and radios at the moment, but not everyone knows enough about football to keep up with the office banter.
But not to worry! If you’re struggling to keep up with the Euro 2016 championship then we’re here to help. In fact, we’ve got it all written down for you…
- Euro 2016 is formally known as the UEFA European Championships. What a mouthful!
- The tournament is 56 years old and takes place every four years – this year is the 15th
- France are hosting the competition this year, for the third time. We presume it’s because they really love football!
- Euro 2016 is the largest tournament to date with a record 24 countries qualifying…
- …Which means there will be 51 matches played, a whopping 20 more than in 2012. Yay!
- Spain are the current Euro champions and have won the tournament three times in total, in 1964, 2008 and 2012.
- The Republic of Ireland squad is the oldest team on average and the England squad is the youngest on average.
Voila, as the hosts would say! Now that you’re clued up you can head to the pub and impress everyone with your Euro 2016 knowledge. Just make sure you give you wear the right Football shirt for your team – and that you give it a clean before you go!